People are at the core of Fareportal. We are one of the fastest growing travel technology companies in the world; our portfolio of travel brands, including flagship product CheapOair, receives over 100 million visitors annually.
We are seeking energetic, passionate and enthusiastic at Home Sales Travel Agents.Our Travel Agents are responsible for providing clients with some of the best travel deals in the industry, while delivering the highest level of customer service.
- GDS experience (SABRE Either/OR Amadeus) preferred
- Must have your own phone and computer
There isn’t a better time to join our growing global team!
As a part of our Call Center team, you will be responsible for:
- Providing our clients with the best travel package deals.
- Offering prompt, accurate and courteous service to clients.
- Assist clients with reservations, transfers and changes.
- Responding to client questions, concerns and billing inquiries with the highest degree of professionalism.
- Securing new client sales and retention through exceptional customer service.
- Current or recent travel agency/airline experience; consolidator experience highly preferred.
- 2-3 years of GDS experience (SABRE and/or Amadeus)
- Prior inbound call center customer service/sales experience.
- Flexible availability including mornings, evenings, and weekends as needed.
- GDS experience (SABRE and/or Amadeus)
- Proficient with fare rules
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills.
- Must be a strong team player.
Personal Impact: Our casual company culture boasts innovation, collaboration and harbors a unique entrepreneurial spirit.
The right people will....
- Understand the unique challenges and tremendous opportunities associated with a rapidly growing fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, with the ability to deal with ambiguity but equally the freedom to explore and innovate.
- Manage a continuously evolving sets of priorities when everything (really-everything!) is important. You can’t get overwhelmed or sidetracked easily.
- Be vocal with idea generation; speaking-up fuels discussion, ideation and group-think. 98% ideas may fly by the way side – but your impenetrable spirit allows the other 2% to soar! Your voice defines the value you bring to the organization.
- Have the maturity to work on goals at hand, but also the ability to consider overall strategies.
- Understand power of our ownership culture; built on principles and values that compel everyone at Fareportal to think and act like an owner of the business.
Fareportal’s Mission is to “Make travel effortless, affordable, and enjoyable by providing customers with their perfect trip, through the relentless pursuit of innovation in technology and unsurpassed customer service.” If you love technology, travel and innovation, commence your journey here.